a.k.a Banana Brownies
I hesitated in calling these “brownies” as the brownie connoisseurs might disagree. These fudgey squares are similar to a brownie but with a slightly different texture as they are made with oats. I wanted to use up some freezer bananas and didn’t want to make a traditional banana bread with them so I came up with this! I love chocolate and always enjoy a brownie but wanted to come up with a recipe that I could use the bananas in AND make sure it was nice and chocolately. And so, Fudgey Banana Squares were born.
I really enjoy baking and I believe I inherited this from my mother whos is a trained baker. I grew up watching her bake and it definitely rubbed off. I love spending time in the kitchen creating new recipes for my husband and I. Our little one isn’t eating solids yet so these brownie-like squares are for just the two of us right now.
- 3 bananas, mashed
- 1/2 cup Coconut Sugar
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup coconut oil OR avocado oil OR ghee
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (can omit, tastes delicous still without it)
- 1 cup gluten free quick oats
- 1/4 tsp pink salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3/4 cup raw racao powder
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9×9 baking dish with parchment paper OR slightly grease with avocado oil.
- In a bowl, mash bananas. Add coconut sugar, maple syrup, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract. Blend with hand mixer, whisk or in a Kitchen-Aid until smooth and uniform consistency (no big banana chunks).
- In a separate bowl combine oats, salt, baking powder and cacao powder. Whisk until blended.
- Add dry ingredients to wet and mix until smooth and evenly combined.
- Spread into 9×9 baking dish and bake for 22-27 mins (average 25 mins)
- Yields up to 24 squares depending how large you cut them